Grief affects us all differently and can manifest in many ways beyond the loss itself. In this episode, I’m sharing valuable insights on how to better communicate with and support clients experiencing grief, how grief shows up mentally and physically for clients, and some practical tips for avoiding common communication pitfalls.
As lawyers, we can better support our clients by learning to communicate with empathy and understanding. By listening without judgment, we can help clients identify and name their losses, and provide education and resources. With these simple strategies, we can make a real difference for our clients navigating grief and loss.
In this episode, you will hear:
- Grief as a normal reaction to any loss or change, like loss of job, health, or freedom
- How grief manifests mentally with reduced focus, isolation, emotional rollercoaster, and numbness.
- How grief manifests physically with disturbed sleep, eating changes, body aches, and fatigue
- “I can’t imagine how you feel” vs. “I know how you feel”
- Helping clients identify and name their losses – tangible or intangible
- Asking clients to tell you their story and listening without judgment
- Avoid common myths like “stay busy” or “be strong.”
- Provide clients with education on grief and resources.
Follow and Review:
We’d love for you to follow us if you haven’t yet. Click that purple ‘+’ in the top right corner of your Apple Podcasts app. We’d love it even more if you could drop a review or 5-star rating over on Apple Podcasts. Simply select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” then a quick line with your favorite part of the episode. It only takes a second and it helps spread the word about the podcast.
To learn more about Grief and The Grief Recovery Method visit: www.griefrecovery.com
To download the free e-book on grief, visit: https://larricklawfirm.com/grief-recovery/
If you like this podcast and are thinking of creating your own, consider talking to my producer, Emerald City Productions. They helped me grow and produce the podcast you are listening to right now. Find out more at https://emeraldcitypro.com Let them know I sent you.