Fun free activities to keep you busy during the COVID-19 Shelter-in-place
We understand that the effects of the COVID-19 outbreak is forcing us to make changes in our everyday lives. We want to alleviate the stress of being isolated at home and compiled a list of activities that are FREE and open to the public for you and your family to keep busy. We encourage you to join live sessions for meditation, yoga, fitness, or musical performances to remain connected with everyone. We’re all in this together, please stay safe, and stay home!
Health and Wellness
- New daily at-home 30 minute workout routines—instructors get creative and have you utilize objects you can find around the house.
- Daily Work-Ins on YouTube with active trainers and some surprise celebrity guests.
- Health and Fitness on demand Videos—Yoga, Bootcamp, Tai Chi, Kid’s Activities and more.
- On demand video classes for Cardio, Strength, Yoga, Family, and more.
- Daily P.E. with Joe, Monday-Friday 30-min. interactive exercise class for kids.
- 30-minute live Zoom meditation—sessions are appropriate for all levels of practitioners.
- Mondays and Fridays live from 1:15 to 1:45 p.m. CT, meditation led by Aparna Sadananda
- Tuesdays and Thursdays live from 1:15 to 1:45 p.m. CT, meditation led by Philip Bender
- Daily Yoga & Meditation Classes on YouTube—Featuring teachers from all around Australia.
- Daily Meditation at 3:30 p.m. CT
- Daily Yoga Asana at 4:00 p.m. CT
- Watch local Austin musicians perform live—continuously updating list
- Watch a mix of live stream musicians everyday—continuously updating list
- Saturdays & Sundays Facebook live music at 5:00 p.m CT—Performances from various musical artist sponsored by Springfree Trampoline, Do512 Family, 365 Things Austin Family, and KUTX 98.9.
- The plays were filmed live on stage from the National Theatre are now streaming on YouTube for a limited time.
Treasure Island—Adapted by Bryony Lavery. Available until April 23, 2020.
Twelfth Night—Shakespeare’s classic comedy. Available April 23, 2020 until April 30, 2020.
- British composer Andrew Lloyd Webber is making select musicals available to watch on YouTube each Friday—show will begin streaming at 3:00 p.m. CT and remain accessible for the next 48 hours.
- Home Safari on Facebook live daily at 4 p.m. CT—zookeepers highlight an animal at their enclosure.
- Can’t watch it live? Go to their YouTube channel to view it later.
- Live cams of your favorite animals—rhinos, chimps, gorillas, and more.
- Live cams of your favorite animals—polar bears, koalas, elephants, tigers, and more.
- Live cams of your favorite animals—cheetah cub, giant panda, lion, and more.
- Live cams of your favorite sea animals—jellyfish, sharks, sea otters, and more.
- Live cams of your favorite sea animals—beluga whale, sea lion, and more.
- Read, listen, watch on your computer or mobile device 24/7 when you download or stream eBooks, eAudiobooks, magazines, movies and music—Library Cards and eCards are free for Austin residents.
- Older literary collection—epub and Kindle eBooks, download or read them online.
- Collection of hundreds of free audiobooks, the website doesn’t require a log-in—simply click “Start Listening.”
- Online Courses from 140 Top Institutions including Harvard and Yale. edX is for all learners at every stage, whether entering the job market, changing fields, seeking a promotion or exploring new interests.
- Every weekday 3:00 p.m. CT watch YouTube live video events with National Geographic Explorers across all seven continents to bring exploration to life—Click on the “Watch” link to view.
- Virtual events on a wide range of topics Distance Learning Events—Scroll down to view the calendar and Connect with Smithsonian Experts.
- Weekly on Thursdays YouTube live at 6:00 p.m CT—Dolly Parton’s read-aloud series from select Imagination Library books.
- Live weekdays—Authors & celebrities read picture books live.
- Activities & videos updated every Friday by Captain Underpants author.
We hope you and your family stay safe and healthy!